Friday, December 10, 2010

December 7th...... Pearl Harbor

We decided since we live in Hawaii and considering the historical significance of the day, we would go to the World War II monuments and Pearl Harbor.  I am so glad that we did.  We got to see alot of servicemen in thier full regalia and see a flyby and just take in all of the ceremonies.  We took the  boat over to the USS Arizona memorial and it was great. We told Cole that he had to be reverent and he asked if we were going to church. We told him the kid version of the story of events that happened there and he was most worried that the bad guys were going to bomb the ships while we were there and that it might be too loud.  Colby said that it happened a long time ago and that the bad guys are gone and the they are actually our friends now.  Cole said that if bad guys bombed him they would not be his friends!! Too Funny.

I am so glad that we live in the United States and I really do reverence  all those who have been and are currently engaged in service to our country. The opportunities that are available to us because of where we live and because we know the truthfulness of the gospel are great blessings! I am sure that all of you recognize this and especially so when speaking with Mom and Dad and hearing about all of the monetarily less fortunate whom they serve. They may have so much less worldly goods than we do but to hear of how they 'treasure' there membership in the Lord's church is humbling and makes me reflect.
 

2 comments:

  1. As a veteran, this is special to me. It is hard to explain the brotherhood you develope in the service of your country. I always knew that my shipmates would protect my life, as I would theirs. We never talked about it, but we knew that it was part of our responsibility.I love my country as much as I do the gospel and cannot understand why one does not stand and put his hand over his heart at the playing of the national anthem, or as the flag is being raised or lowered. Down deep I wish we still had the draft so that each man had to serve his country for 2 years and pay a small price for the freedom that others have given their all for. If mom and I can visit you uponj our release, I so hope we can visit that hallowed site. Love, Ken Larson, USN

    ReplyDelete