Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Thing Which Will Be Of The Most Worth

As I reading this Sunday afternoon in the D&C Student Manual (Pg. 31) It discussed Section 15, which I had read many times, but had given very little thought of how it would effect my life. Today it was different, and it caused me to reflect on our own family and how do we actually know what is of most worth in our life?
If you would read D&C 15 and then consider this comment given by Elder John A. Widtsoe. "This simple revelation is directed to the individual and at first sight has no permanent value for the church. Yet as a revelation from God it was preserved and published. An insincere man could have eliminated this and other similar revelations as of little consequence. Not so with Joseph. The Lord had spoken. The words were part of the building of the kingdom of God, and the same advice would be useful to many men then and now."

The key phrase is "The thing Which Will Be of the Most Worth unto You". In the Conference Report, April 1901, Elder Rudger Clawson, of the Quorum of the Twelve, commented on the significance of this revelation for all: "Cast your minds back to the early days of this Church, an there stood this man John Whitmer, recently come into the Church of Christ. Various occupations in which he might engage were before him. He had the opportunity to labor on the farm, to engage in merchandising, to follow mining, to study the profession of medicine or law, or to adopt one of the many other occupations in which men employ themselves. The question he asked himself at that time was, What would be of the most worth to him? By his industry and thrift he might acquire the wealth of a Vanderbilt; he might obtain a beautiful home, well furnished in every detail, and most desirable for the comfort and convenience of himself and his family; he might obtain worldly renown in one of the professions, and by study and reflection become a skillful practitioner in medicine or a wise and able lawyer. I say, these opportunities were before him, because the country was before him, and this country is full of opportunities, which are in the reach of all. We live in a free country, and the way is open to you and me, as it was to this man. He stood there in this situation, not having been trained long in the Gospel of Christ, and I say to you--for it is on record here--that a voice came to that man from the eternal worlds, and that voice set at rest in him every doubt, every fearful anticipation. At a critical time in his life, when he must choose which way to go, that voice said unto him that that which would be of most worth unto him was to declare repentance unto the people and bring souls unto Christ. The message was of such importance that it came to him with "sharpness and with power." It was the voice of Jesus Christ."

We are all different and have different callings upon this earth that we were called to do before the foundations of this world were ever laid! I know some in the family are wanting to know what  profession is best for me? I think back in my mind and remember how aganizing it was trying to know how was I going to provide for may family with a BA degree but no special talents or abilities. I prayed for guidance but I never thought to ask the Lord : What would be of most worth? As you consider career decisions or any major decisions, simply ask the Lord the direct question, What would be of most worth? I think there are various answers to be given based upon our pre-earth callings!

We love you all and so appreciate the Blog and it is amazing how adapt mom has become on the computer, and has the patience to assist me. The volcano in Java is probably 1,000 miles away so we are just fine. After sacrament meeting and fasting today, we were commenting to each other how much more needed we feel here on our mission and that our years of service and experience are being used by the Lord in ways we never imagined. We have grown more spiritually in almost 2 months of our calling than we did in years. Our studying together, the busy schedule, having to learn so much detail to learn at our age is very tiring and we sleep so good at night. Also, I was thinking about my patriarchal blessing recently about one sentance that stated "you will be blessed with the good things in the life so that you could help the poor and the needy...". When I was younger I thought this meant that I would be blessed with wealth and could giver generous offerings. Later I realized that there are so many ways to help the poor and needy that did not require money. And now as I approach 70 I know the Lord knew my future and purpose in life. Here at 70 a part of my blessing is being fulfilled---in grand order!

We love you and pray for you. Please give the children hugs for us, the pictures you send are priceless.

Love, Mom & Dad

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for that wonderful post! Today we are celebrating Ben's birthday and thinking about you! Love you.
    Mart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Dad. You give great advice. We love you guys. As soon as I heard about the volcano in Indonesia, being the worrier I am, I got out of bed, got on the computer, and checked to see how close that city was to you guys. I was happy to learn it was far away:) Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the post Dad! I am trying to post something on the blog from the Weeks perspective but am having some computer issues. Colby will help me soon. Love you and Mom.

    ReplyDelete