Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Fat Lady Has Sung... Kim is 40!

As you all know, we went to Hawaii to celebrate Kim's 40th!  Happy Birthday, Kim:)   You are the only 40 year old I know that looks 20:)  That's a good thing.

It was a blast!  I feel like we were busy going the whole time, but I still came home relaxed.  


In the picture above, this is a random picture I took of on our way to Pearl Harbor and Waikiki.  Before we got to those 2 places, we had to stop off below...


Donkey Balls Chocolate!  They sold chocolate covered macadamia nuts in different varieties.  They had "salty balls" which were chocolate covered with sea salt on top.  I may get the other varieties wrong, but i believe they were "dirty balls", "spicy balls", and "nutty balls".  All with different things on top of or mixed in with the chocolate.  

Here we are at the entrance to the Pearl Harbor Museum.  I had been here before in 2002, and had really enjoyed it then.  Since then they have changed it, and it is even better.  I got a bit emotional a few times walking through the museum, seeing the documentary, and being on the Arizona Memorial.   Mom and Dad, you will love it when you go out there on your way home!

Here we are in front of a mural that was painted in the museum.

This is part of the Battleship Arizona that is above water.  You can see most of the length of the ship under the surface of the water while standing on the memorial built right over it.
Another picture of us on the Arizona Memorial with a battleship behind us in the background.

This the flag that flies half mast (sp?) on the Arizona Memorial.  It was such a beautiful day, and Kim thought would be a cool picture, and I agree.  Can I just please add right now that I am very proud to be an American.  I am getting a bit emotional right now just typing this.  Very special place!

After Pearl Harbor, we went to Waikiki.  Kim had 3 places that she had seen on Diners, Drive ins and Dives that she wanted us to try.  They were all in the Honolulu area, so this was our day to do it.  One of the places, the one we were most excited about, was closed b/c they are moving locations.  Here above we are eating at the Rainbow Diner.  Actually gross food, but at least we can say that we tried it.  I guarantee Guy Fieri did not like taping that episode:)  After we ate, we spent the rest of the day in Waikiki, just shopping around.  It was fun!
The next day we went to just relax on the beach at the Turtle Bay Resort, where we were staying.  Unfortunately Kellie did not get to join us b/c she woke up with food poisoning at 4:30 that morning.  Sorry Kell.
The next day we, Kellie, Kim and I, all walked along a beach path from the hotel to Kavela Bay, where we met up with Kath's family to paddle board and hang at the beach.  Along the path, there were many gorgeous little beaches.  We got a nice guy to take this picture of us at one.
Here's Kim getting her paddle board on!  She did awesome, and didn't fall once.  I can't say the same for me.  But to my defense, I fell off b/c as I was standing, I looked down and saw a sea turtle.  It kind of freaked me out, and I lost my balance.

That night, we went to see the night show at the PCC.  It was awesome!  I don't know what was better, the actual performers, or Kim hooting and hollering to the music and dancing!  Later that night, around 10pm, I stated that I wanted a burger, so we hopped in the car and did a late night McDonalds run!
I don't have any more pictures of our trip.  We did go spend a day in Haliewa, and awesome little surf town on the North Shore.  I had to include these pics I took of Izzy and Olie.  They were too cute not to add.  Kath's 2 oldest look like little hawaiian kids running around.  They are so tan!  And that Izzy.  I called her "Busy Izzy" the whole week b/c that is exactly what she is, and I love it:)
Alright, Jenny!  Starting thinking of where you want to go for your 40th!  Just please no Dollywood, Tweetsie Railroad, or Gastonia.  How about the little store in Hamlet instead?  :)

3 comments:

  1. Ginger, thank you so much for this blog!!! I loved it!!!! Ya'll look so wonderful and happy. It so reminds me of the days that I have spent with my sisters and what wonderful memories I have of them. Ya'll are the best part of my life in every way!!! And just think that we have eternity together.
    I love each of you so much.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it!!! It was fun, yet so relaxing and I just loved hanging with the girls since we don't get to see each other often at all. Thanks for the huge sacrifice to meet me there and making it a never to be forgotten time.

    ReplyDelete