Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Rest of May







We just seem to get busier and busier. Thank goodness. Since we have new elders in our area, we have been more able to go visit and teach our new converts. We have eight lessons that we are responsible to teach recent converts, once the missionaries are finished with all of their lessons. I have felt like a failure in this because our appointments fall through, or we do not have a translator, or we have other responsibilities that interfere with our scheduling. But now we seem to be on the right track. YEA!! We teach with the elders on Thursday evenings and the sisters on Fridays. I love it.





On the second Friday of the month, we had Brother Todd Harris in town. He is the head of the church translation department. He looks really young, but he is in his 50's and is married with 2 children. He has a most interesting job because he gets to travel the world and heads teams that translate all of the church materials into the different languages all over the world. We usually arrange a few things for him when he makes his visits. He took us out to dinner after his last visit. We went to a lovely Thai restaurant downtown. I don't know how that picture of us with Bro. Harris made its way to the start of this blog--it just did!



Tuesday, May 17 was Wesak Day, a holiday. I have no idea what it means except our branch members didn't have to work that day. We had a service project to do for Br. Musa and Sis. Leni. We took water purification systems to give to them. We're going back on June 4th and repair some things for Sis. Leni. The branch is so good about helping those who really need help.



Dad and I meet every Wednesday evening with the District Pres., his first counselor, and his wife to help them with Youth Conference. This is the first one that they have had in 4 years. It's going to be here in KK and all I can say is "Thank goodness for senior couples." They have us doing everything--teaching, cooking, games, skits, musical numbers, and training of the leaders. Plus, Sis. Ling has me doing all of the emailing and organizing and coordinating with the other 3 couples. I frankly will be glad when this one has come and gone!



The Relief Society Pres. and Elders Quorum Pres. and I met and made a schedule for their coordinated Sunday schedules--just like we have them back home. I really try to help them organize themselves. I had explained this to the Branch President and he asked me to do it. I said that I would help the R. Soc. Pres. and the E. Q. Pres. do it. We checked with the District Pres. first to get his District dates, and then filled out the schedule through December of this year. We were excited. The very first Sunday after, the District Pres. announces in sacrament that during Relief Society and Priesthood time he is holding a special meeting to explain the welfare program of the Church!!! HELLO! Where was this date 2 weeks before??? All of the prepared lessons were out the window!! I'm ready for him to move to the other side of the Island for a few weeks!!!



Then we were called and told that we as missionaries we were invited to a special missionary meeting in KL to be taught at the feet of an apostle--Elder Bednar!!!! It was the most wonderful meeting that I have ever been in. He was fabulous and it was the most interactive meeting with an apostle that I've ever witnessed. He had just presided at a meeting in Indonesia where he and Elder Pratt of the Seventy formed the very first stake in Indonesia. That's right next door!! We're next in a few years!! Elder Bednar asked to come and meet with the Singapore Mission. He asked us to read 2 of his talks on faith to be prepared. I have the utmost faith that he is an Apostle of the Lord, Jesus Christ! I have repented and am now willing to let Pres. Ling stay on this side of the Island!



After Elder Bednar left, Pres. Clark taught us all about humility. It was fantastic, even though he said that he felt really badly about his power-point presentation after listening to Elder Bednar for 3 hours. Pres. Clark is a very humble person and one of the most gifted teachers that I've ever met. I would love to say that I have pictures of Elder Bednar, but every time I tried to take one, someone got in the way. Pres. Clark said that he would give us a copy of our group picture. I hope so. I do have a picture from yesterday--just for Natalie Sistrunk. This is her brother who is serving in our mission also!! Small world! Sorry, but I do not know how to get the pictures to show up where I want them to. This is a new setuup for me on the blog now. I'll have to learn how to do it.

Well, it's late and I just stopped to skype with Jenny for a few minutes. I'll tell you more on the next blog. I love you more today than I did yesterday--I hope to tell you that for many years to come.

MOM








No comments:

Post a Comment