Tuesday, March 1, 2011

We Have A Car!!!! YEA!!

DON'T YOU DARE LAUGH!!!!!

This is the Malaysian version of the corvette! This baby has 2000cc, automatic with air and power windows. It really serves the purpose for us and we are so glad we finally got transportation. It is a repossessed 2008, with about 17,000 miles. We paid $1800 down, and the monthly payment is $153 per month, which is $5.25 per day! Mom uses the map to guide us and I drive, praying all the way.

This past weekend we had a very unique experience that very few members of the church have the privilege of doing. Two members of the scripture translation department of the church were here to meet with a few members and have them review some of the translation work done on the Book of Mormon. They had them review three different procedures, to see which was the best. It takes 5 years to actually be ready for publication. It was so interesting to learn about the process--we wish you could have been here. We will never forget this experience to be a part of an actual translation of the Book of Mormon in to Malay.

Sunday, brother Francis Simon was called as the new branch president. He kept the former first counselor, Peter Wong who is only 21. The new second counselor is Francis Ng, who speaks Chinese, and a little Malay. They are good men and Pres. Francis is retired and well respected by the branch members. He was definitely the man for the job and will be a great president. We are their shadow  leaders, and President Clark has asked that I help them understand disciplinary councils as there are a number of issues that need to be addressed.

How do you like it?  We love it!  I can't tell you of the freedom we feel now.  We actually can go without worrying about how far and how many times in a week.  In our budget we could only spend 300 rm a week.  Now a tank of gas costs us about 50rm twice a month. 

Yesterday we took 2 of the sister missionaries to the hospital in Likas(long way) to visit Sis. Leni.  She is the sister who lives in Kampang Baru and has 2 children with cleft palettes.  Her little daughter had her first surgery on her mouth yesterday.  We waited about 2 hours, but never got to see Sis. Leni.  We think that she was in a room near the OR and we were not allowed in.  I heard from the sisters today that the surgery went well but she is in a lot of pain.  They have restricted her diet--she can only have ice cream.  Get this--the hospital doesn't have ice cream!  I was so upset that I told Dad that Humanitarian Services needs to donate an ice cream machine to the children's wing of the hospital.  Sebastian's doctor brother, Ritchie, works there and I'm going to ask him about this.

We have had lots of church visitors this weekend.  Dad told you about the translators.  We also had the Ericksons, Missionary couple over Seminary and Institute along with President Stephen Lai, the Stake President from Malaysia.  He is over S/I for all of Malaysia.  Also we had a missionary couple from the church area presidency over Family History Centers.  They were at church last night, but we only talked briefly because of our FHE.

I have to go get ready for church.  We are meeting with the new Branch Presidency and I'm so excited for them to start leading!!  They are good men.  Hugs and Kisses for everyone--we love you!  Dad and Mom

6 comments:

  1. Mom and Dad-
    Stephen Lai is the man that I emailed you about that knows everything about BYUH admissions and the financial aid options for Malaysian students. I forwarded his email address to that girl Jessyca. By the way, I thought you said she lived in Kuala Lampur but the address she emailed me is in KK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great laugh when I saw y'alls car! I am amazed that dad even fits inside:) I am happy for you guys, and I'm sure it's such a comfort. Love you guys. On another note, I have emailed you guys multiple times to set up times to skype, but you guys have never responded. Have you even been getting the emails? email me at gingolmstead@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The car looks like a rollerskate!! To funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you guys and I think small cars are the most fun to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a 2 cylinder roller skate.

    ReplyDelete